Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Recovery

It was the darn tetracycline: I was aware of the new warning that comes with it saying it needs to be taken with a full glass of water (did that) and 30 minutes before laying down (didn't do that). But I had recovered sufficiently by 8:00 a.m. to clean out the van in preparation for a bon voyage dinner I intended for Joe and Patsy.

Then I went to the Boynton Verizon store to exchange my phone for one with a camera (same model only different). That took four effing hours and six people, cost me $50.00 and I will get that back with a mail-in rebate. Sheesh! But I like the phone- it is built to military specs: waterproof, dustproof, damage resistant-it is nicknamed "the Boulder." I have a year to break it because I did not get the handset insurance. They did transfer my contacts.

Greg came over for a beer. They had spent the day at "Pops." They didn't work today but the gate guard recognized them as the ones who were doing good work in the gated community. There are lots of elderly there and services being what they are in South Florida, the work is lining up Greg.

I took Pat and Joe to Phyllis G's. It did not disappoint. The weather was nice enough for us to sit on the veranda, start off with a pitcher of "fall off the porch" sangria, and enjoy the delectable food. We had a fine time-they are easy company and our locales are so different, interesting conversations. I told them of pow-wows, they told me of lobster fishing. We talked family and laughed about getting old. We all had careers as educators. They had some new foods. Joe works a golf tournament for the rest of the week so this was our last chance for a get-together. "Next year, God willing."