Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pour Moi?

The neighbors hosted a party at which I was the guest of honor for being such a fabulous neighbor and entertainer. Joe's phrase "Throw out a fish head to catch a salmon," rang in my ears because it was a fabulous party and we had salmon. Nicole started us with a delicious and deadly punch: vodka, cranberry and orange juice and soda water-big tumblers. Then she and Andre served delicious canape's. After it had cooled on this warm day we had dinner: grilled salmon steaks, saffron rice and asparagus with parmesan cheese prepared by them all. A nice white wine furthered the felicity and before we knew it we were having a hootenany and dancing. Rene', well-oiled, told a hilarious story about his early army days as a kitchen worker. It did go on and on so every so often Andre would call an intermission and everybody would drink. The La Tours provided dessert -cake and ice cream, well after dark. It was a great party and a blast. Lot's of witty talk and kind artistic souls. Some pretty fair voices.

Nicole and Andre have quite the life: July through October on their 31 foot sailboat on Lake Champlain: then to the chalet on the ski slope before going south to Florida, then home to the Chalet in April.



Everybody was very chipper this morning-most have gone to the beach. I have been here under the air with the hounds. Andre stopped by and we had a great visit- he is so well read and has 80 years of stories. While it was still cool, I took Honey on a bike run and she did pretty well. Blowing off the steam makes her much calmer. She chased a coon last night-I had the fridge taped but then I remembered I'd left some rice and stuffing in a bag outside and she broke free. She did not bark. I was out looking for her and met an Annie Lennox look-alike walking her dog. Honey came bounding up to scare the poor pup and the lady and I talked for a few minutes. Her dog is named after a vampire. I heard my mother calling me and went home with Honey.