Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Butterfly World

Saturday we ventured to Deerfield where I gave Lori a much belated birthday present from things I got at Bali- a terrific shop in Lake Worth. I had told her I was looking for something(s) inspired rather than any old thing. I struck paydirt or she is remarkable at feigning pleasure: a sarong, a turtle necklace, a bracelet made of female power seeds and a bone ring with yin-yang symbol. She liked the Buddha statue I had bought for myself so much it ended up at her house too. I felt good about that.

We then ventured to Butterfly World which is not too far from their house. I had heard about it and suggested it would make a good outing. It was. Wonderful piped in music, inspired landscaping, artful exhibits led through the butterfly house, an arboretum of passionflowers and other exotic plants, an aviary of hummingbirds, an aviary of lorikeets that are quite happy to interact with people, a parrot exhibit, an aviary called jewels of the air, an insect museum, all blessed with tranquil music and donated benches in cul-de sacs where contemplation (and sometimes a doze) are possible. We traded in our day-passes for season passes which were Jason's treat.

Then we had a pleasant evening at their home. Jason grilled memorable NY strip steaks in delicious marinade, and squash, sweet potatoes, artisan sourdough, macaroni salad accompanied. A chocolate chunk cookie for dessert- Fabulous and not quite the rest for the alimentary canal, I am needing but a real treat, nonetheless. A home wedding was taking place across the canal and we watched and listened while the doggies played and Buster got a brushing with a curry comb- that made his day. If the day could have been better, I can't imagine how.
Posted by Picasa


Click the pic to see the album.

03282009 FL Butterfly World