Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Now Let me See...

Which is better? The top picture from Casper, Wyoming this evening:
Or these pictures from Lake Osborne in John Prince Park taken this afternoon and evening.


I don't think I will rush to get home. I am grateful for every drop of moisture falling in Wyoming but I don't need to be there to supervise.

The day started with a bang. I was in the screenhouse enjoying my second cup of coffee (one regular, one decaf) and watching Mr. Latour clean the vents on the top of his 5th wheel trailer. I had earlier loaned him my carwash brush to scrub the bird poop off his awning. Mme. Latour started yelling for him to "Come here," urgently. He crouched to get under the power line and duckwalked the length of trailer. Then I saw the smoke billowing out of the door. Mme. yelled "Fire!' That got me off my ample haunches and into my coach where I immediately laid hands on my fire extinguisher and headed over at a stately trot. Two men and a pit bull arrived soon after. What appeared to be a large doily came sailing out the door aflame. I grabbed my hose and watered it down. It was the remains of Mme.'s hat-a squashable hat made of woven vinyl. Marc had evidently not turned the gas burner completely off and Mme put her hat on the stove. They really do deserve each other.

The stench was obnoxious. Fortunately they have a neighbor who has considerable experience with abating smoke. I took my negative ion air cleaner and a big can of Ozium to them. Mme began her litany with a new stanza or two added: "I was in a wheelchair three weeks before I came down here...awning sagged and dumped... bike tires went flat...transmission gave out...Turbo went bad, (twice) and now this happened to her "largest of the line Challenger 5th wheel trailer with 3 (count 'em) slideouts which they had never allowed anybody to smoke in." Br'er Rabbit, he say nuffin.

They may leave tomorrow. It will be pretty boring around here without them but I think I can deal with it.
Posted by Picasa