Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Karmic Debt Paid in Full-waiting for change

I spent the afternoon trying to figure out how put the muscle on a whore. When I checked in last night a guy was hanging over the upstairs balcony. He bummed a cigarette. But he made me nervous so I slept with the curtain open so I could watch and kept the van locked up tight. Walked the dogs this morning. Getting ready to feed them, I went to the van and got Buster's meds. A black man working on carpet replacement walked by and Honey started to bark so I shut the curtain so she couldn't see him. About noon I went to the van and my Toshiba computer, my change cup, my ditty bag, and my pistol were gone! I went to the front office-no cameras-the clerk said he got robbed of $300.00 two days before. I confronted the dude from the balcony and he played all innocent and said "call the cops" I said I would do just that. Then they left in a rush. I did call the cops. Meanwhile I quizzed the clerk a little and he went through the registration slips. Having been a teacher once upon a time, upside down reading is a cinch. The room had been rented to a lady-a frequent flyer here at the Motel 6. Armed with name and address and Googling and a $1.95 payment to USASearch, I located the person of interest. I debated and debated. I had told the cop my suspicion. He said they would check pawnshops. I want my stuff back! As the day went on I had little frissons of remembrance of what was in the computer bag. Each one made me sadder and madder. I called the number. A man answered-an older voice than Lori W's 32 years of record. I asked for Lori. He was evasive. I broke the connection. I will call some more when I am well down the road.

In between times I had lunch at a pretty good restaurant across the street and got my oil changed. It seems to come due here on the way down or way back. They recognized the air filter. So I felt good about that. Small consolation. I am not sure who to be angry with-the thief, me, the motel, the terrible economy here, the call girl with a crappy customer, the crappy weather that prompted the stayover, or me for being a weenie about driving on, or me. I'm pretty sure I can restore the pictures I had on the computer. To say the day was ruined is an understatement.

I think I can make Gretna, NE tomorrow. I will stop for a meet and greet with Bob and Doris before soldiering on. It is still raining and will get worse here Friday night. I hope I am well beyond it by then. I will leave very early.