Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Taking a break-game called due to rain

There appears to be no way around it and my intended route goes right through the worst of it. Intense rain and flood warnings in Kansas City. Waiting a day puts the rain odds in the 50-40 percent category as opposed to the 90 percent category. They don't improve much beyond that through Monday. Having driven through a pretty intense storm yesterday, I think I will wait a day. The rain itself is navigable but so many of my fellow-travelers seem unaware of the laws of Physics and certainly place more faith in the Creator because they ARE driving blind at 70 miles per hour. I don't need that kind of excitement. I am a control freak when it comes to me-fortunately it is such a big job that I don't have time or energy to try to control anybody else.

Yesterday Buster saw three drops of rain on the windshield and sought Honey for solace. A cute pile of pups in the rear view mirror. She was fine with that until he started burrowing when the rain got worse. She gave a couple of yips and then tried climbing over the rearmost seat to snuggle up to the Buddha bust which I cleverly placed to look out the back window. (Hey, I have to put up with fish logos and magnetic warmonger ribbons) All this going on while the traffic was intense, the rain intense, and I was intent on looking ahead. They have not learned, nor have I had much cause to use the "If I have to stop the car to straighten you kids out, you will be very sorry," command.

Fortuitously, we got the exact same room we had on the way down. Honey seemed to recognize some sights and smells. I think that she gets we are going back to Wyoming. I know Buster does. He is the old hand.

The good part of the rain is it is feeding the brilliant green foliage. Kentucky looked liked a huge Chia Pet. Alabama plants kaleidescopic wild flowers on the medians and verges. Kentucky plants convicts to pick up trash. One discovered an adult magazine and was enjoying it-you can tell by the posture. I guess every job has some fringe benefits.