Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Drowning in Minutiae

The mail came-a whole month's worth. It is instructive to get your mail in clumps-a week's worth in Florida, a month's worth today. We really don't need daily delivery, fully half the poundage is suitable for immediate disposal in the garbage, more and more is available on the web-even some magazines. Then there is the other stuff that requires some action.

After the computer theft in Illinois, I quickly changed a bunch of passwords which I apparently forgot because they don't seem to be working. Grrr. It is possible to get them changed but it is not fun.

I see where a majority has now caught up with me: more than half the folks who have phones have switched to cell phones-giving up their landlines. I gave up mine out of necessity-it was out as much as it was on.

Babysitting the dogs has been no picnic. I always wondered how Buster's leg got ruined but then I realized he told me every day. The Fegler's four-wheelers rouse him to hysteria. Calving season, they are here a lot. He starts and Honey joins in. Add the other dogs and there is something to check out about every ten minutes. Honey is making great strides in sticking closer though and she has quickly learned that way to avoid the pager is to come when called, and that ignoring the pager will result in a zap. I am still at a total of two zaps. Of course the positive reinforcement for coming is alway strong.

Buster barfed this morning and has been been pretty alert all day. He might have just had a bug or eaten something.

I preheated the oven and smelled something funny. Investigated and a mouse had briefly inhabited it this winter-had quite a little store of split peas, some fuzzy nesting stuff and some tell-tale bits of D-Con. Fortunately I had laid down one of those oven trays so the remedy was swift.

The toe is improved but still painful at times. Progress is impeded. Re-entry is not as smooth as anticipated. I am trying to take notes-remembering is not one of my stronger suits anymore as the password fiasco teaches. The weather was nice if a bit windy.