Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, May 04, 2009

Settling In

The water has been turned back on. This involved letting the well run for hours until all the rust and black stuff ceased. I will sterilize the well when next I go to town for Clorox. Meanwhile, flushing, etc., are operational. No leaks from the winter with the new system. Yay! Somehow I developed a sore toe. I'm doing all the right things to get over it. It is inflamed but it looks to be an inside job. I certainly can't remember hurting it.

It was in the low 60 degrees yesterday and in the 50's today. Shirtsleeve weather had I wintered here but I am freezing! A jacket goes on first thing and comes off last thing at night. I made a big pot of Italian Wedding Soup. (really it is just soup with Italian spices-but I noticed restaurants stick the word "wedding" in to fancy it up.) Hot soup to chase the chills.

The dogs are in for a siesta. They are loving the weather and being in their territory. The magical wrap I found in Florida really seems to help Buster. He will never be his speedy old self again but he seems to be getting around pretty well. The training collar is a godsend. When Honey is "being official' she is unresponsive to being called. The pager (vibrator) is all it takes to turn her around most times. I have only had to zap her twice.

Greg called this morning. They are settled in along the St. Lawrence Seaway. His dogs are happy campers too. They took their time going home and had a good trip. It was nice to talk with him.

I love statistics and maps. Statistics usually blow the political arguments and prejudices right out of the water. I am also a fan of the Four Cardinal Virtues: Love, Faith, Hope and Charity, as well as the Seven Deadly Sins as pitfalls. Most religious discourse these days focuses on lust. There are six others and chief among them is Pride. I stumbled on this great article about the Kansas University Geography Department mapping the Seven Deadly Sins. Clearly shows the Bible Belt states with all their ranting and raving and preaching are certainly no better and in many cases are worse than the rest of country. If you are inclined spend a little time on these pages-there are interactive map presentations:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/26/one-nation-seven-sins/#