Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Pastoral 2009

I started the day "layered up" for the 40 degree-coffee-on-the-deck routine I like so well and at that I "froze out" pretty quickly. For these first few days it is critical I am out with the dogs constantly. The pit bull bitch who attacked them before we left came calling last night. She remembered me and made a reluctant 180. I unpacked the rifle and dug out the pepper spray last evening. I hope against hope she will stay home and my dogs will too. I have no desire to do her harm but I will defend..

The temperature eventually got up into the 70's and I peeled a layer and even took a doze on the camp chair with my feet up.

I emailed my Quebec friends with the latest John Prince Park news, using Google translate. I type English, select French as the language to render, copy and paste, hit send. Simple as that.

The late afternoon was sublime. Sitting on my deck watching the newborn calves play, the birds flying or grazing, the Sandhill Cranes calling, the clouds drifting, blues skies, green pastures: I never get tired of seeing it.

I am concerned about Buster tonight. He is hacking and pretty inert after a strenuous day. I fear his heart murmur is getting the best of him. I try to keep him calm but he doesn't know he should take it easy. He is my love bug and irreplaceable. I'm feeling loss keenly today. Mom's birthday. Loads of smiles down that memory lane and I would give a lot for one more hug.

Speaking of which, the Mormons are catching hell again. Some well-intentioned dimwit did a proxy baptism into the Mormon faith of Barack Obama's mother. No word from the Obama family but the gentiles in Salt Lake are in full cry. Having found my grandmother on the rolls some years back, I can imagine feelings. Grandma liked her Mormon neighbors but they gave that Episcopalian lady the giggles-especially the underwear. The Mormons are less than gracious about the reversals, too. The Jews raised a ruckus about the practice so 250,000 of them were expunged-their genealogy records went too according to the SLC Tribune.