Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Is Summer Here?

Eighty degrees today and it felt hot! The leaves were popping out on the trees before my very eyes. A miasma of spicy plum blossom perfumes the air. We have had enough moisture that green is popping up everywhere. It was a beautiful day.

But...at the risk of sounding chronically malcontent, it is supposed to reach 90 degrees tomorrow. It has been ever thus in Wyoming-shivery until you wish you had put the swamp cooler in yesterday. Even today I scurried around to get the fans installed and on their timers. While kneeling on the couch to install the big boy fan, both thighs and calves seized in charlie horses. Paralysis! I knew the potassium was very low at that moment. I quickly tended to my electrolytes and not only did the muscles relax, the spirits lifted and I decided maybe I am not as old as I have felt this past week.

The doggies had a good day-both were active and diligent. Honey got backed down by an old cow. I think the cow was just curious but the dog tactics of rushing and barking did not work their magic. She stolidly advanced. It was pretty funny. Then when she turned to amble away Honey made her move and the cow trotted about ten feet and turned around. Game over. It is a good thing cows are basically lazy or the Honey-bear would have a problem.

Per brother Rich's example, I got one of those USB thumb drives. He runs his programs off his and his records are always with him. I downloaded gobs of pictures on mine but it strikes me now, "What do you do with it?" It is a tiny little thing, lost in a pocket. Carry it on a string around my neck? Key chain? Chain it to a bowling ball?