Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Blown Away

Big Storms last night and big winds today-40 mile per hour winds. Another layer of tie-downs went on the awning. I started the day with a really big breakfast: fresh fruit, poached eggs, corned beef hash, bacon, sausage, toast, coffee, Danish pastry; with Gary and Joyce who invited me last night. As they have calmed down they have relaxed and mellowed out a lot. Gabby, easy to be with, though as fairly newlyweds, they trot out their grievances about the world, and each other a little too easily for my comfort. Great breakfast and I went home. Fernand and his daughter came by-it was so windy I had no intention of opening the Internet Terminal. They were frantic so I fired it up. She had put her kids on the plane to Montreal and the monster storm system had grounded everything in Ontario. It really seemed they thought they had an emergency. Turns out the "kids" were 17 and 15 and had rich step-dad's credit card and cell phones. No big whoop, I thought; hotel for a couple of days and call it good. But they burnt up the web trying to get them flown to Montreal. It was not pleasant in the screen room and I had to gather up flying objects about six times today.They persisted. There is also a new crew of net users.

I took a half-hearted bike ride, battling the winds all the way but I needed to do something to get the blood coursing. I had continued my cleaning yesterday and was comfortable with the new look but I must persist as I need to keep an eye on the calendar and packing up my crayons. The cool helped me continue that in comfort and also to be satisfied with being inside-occupied. Said good-bye to Vivianne, her husband, and little Bella. Vivianne gave me a hug and kisses on both cheeks in the French manner and I was touched.

Joyce and Gary were polishing their rig this afternoon and she invited me for dinner. Mine was already cooking so I tried to beg off. We ended up combining and had quite a feast. She had an eye on my grill, I think.

Breakfast with Ken and Mara tomorrow-Finnish pancakes. They were invited this morning but didn't get back from their walk until long after we had moved on to other things. Tomorrow's invitation is by way of "thank you" for the Internet service and their machinations with their daughter and Olympic diving tryouts in Beijing. She will participate as a representative of Finland.

The Internet Terminal has been good to me. I accept nor want any pay but people have been very good to me with beer, wine, books, meals, company, smiles, and goodwill from the campground management.

The electric heaters are on this evening, Buster has had his walk, and I can hear my pillows softly calling my name.