Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Dinner and a Concert

Greg made grilled chicken breasts and bowtie pasta with alfredo sauce last evening. I brought chips and fruit. Corona was our beverage. It was a delicious dinner. Tracy and Michaela were guests of honor. Lew and I were unmerciful-trying to bribe Michaela to stay up until we got back from the concert- Greg's plan was for a little one-on-one with Tracy.

Lew and I motored down to Boca and Florida Atlantic University for the Pops Concert. The all Cole Porter (mostly) concert had a lot of familiar songs- the ones my dad did so well: Night and Day, You're the Tops, I'll Be Seeing You, etc., etc. Lillias White, a Broadway singer, and a Louis Armstrong soundalike were featured artists. I had not been to a concert where the orchestra was "miked" and it was all wrong for the first half of the show. The second half was sublime-the orchestra soared and Bob Lappin, the maestro left the podium to play the piano and raised the hair on my neck. It was great. He made the mistake of announcing the next song was the last song and a parade of walkers, canes, wheelchairs, and oxygen tanks, headed for the doors like Benny Hinn was performing free faith healings in the lobby. Oy Veh!

Lew was staying at Indian Hills Country Club at his folk's place near Boynton but he drove me back to John Prince Park. It was a great evening-an unexpected pleasure.

Matt and Audrey will be arriving tonight for a week. An unexpected pleasure of the season.

While I was running around, doing laundry, cleaning the Boynton house, etc., yesterday I started having a little incident with my blood pressure and was forced into starting the meds again. I am hoping the leg swelling will not happen right away because I have enjoyed being more mobile.