Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

"A Cub Scout is Helpful"

A crowd gathered under the Banyan tree in front of my house this afternoon. Two adults had been flying a remote control plane and it ended up in the tree. They enlisted the help of a whole pack of Cub Scouts. The Cubs threw their softball at the plane in an attempt to dislodge it. The softball got stuck in the tree. So they tried their football to dislodge their ball. The football got stuck. Another football was brought out. Then there were an airplane, a softball and two footballs stuck.




One of the dads had a pretty good arm (below) and started to make progress. The plane was in my screenhouse when I got back from the store. I bought them 100 feet of clothesline rope but it evidently was not necessary. I have no idea what is left in the tree.


I heard the Scouts whooping and hollering this evening so went out to see. They had a bonfire in the firepit by the pavillion- were having a grand time. Came the deluge. There are about 20 tents filled with soggy Cub Scouts across the park. They are making memories. I'll wager they go home ready to do it again next weekend but the dads will need some time to forget before they will do it again.

I washed throw rugs today, spot cleaned my carpets with a scrub brush and helped Harold with his new GPS. Another Canadian got GPS envy so Harold brought him over and they ordered one over my Internet connection. Greg and JJ came over for a Corona, breakfast of Champions, and a few smokes this morning. His friend and her 5 year old daughter will be flying in and they are planning to decamp to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando for a week.

A group of Canadians descended on Harold and Julia's and they started a game they like which looks like bean bag toss to me. They got rained out. The poodle's parents came by to say goodbye. Nell and Damon Kennedy are going back to Tampa. Their kids pay for their campsite in exchange for the grands watching the kids during Christmas break. Leila is gone- guess the Finlanders party did not happen. Too wet to ride the bike today.

Memory Hook: The Redskins lost to the Seahawks tonight despite the supernatural help of Sean Taylor.
Posted by Picasa