Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Great Christmas Day

Greg and JJ , his great dog, just left. The day kind of began with Greg and Lew stopping by to wish us a Merry Christmas. They got hooked up with brothers of a New York friend of theirs Italians, like part of my heritage, and they have been eating really fine food in copious quantities as well as having libations the past two days. Sounds like a fantastic time was had by all. I was invited to go play some more tonight but my day really started at 4:00 a.m. when we were visited with a wonderful rain. For some reason I awoke to enjoy it. We got more than a third of an inch of much needed wet. In any case, I am starting to play out and one beer would probably put me on the floor.

Instead of Christmas cards I am burning cell phone minutes and calling folks. Miscalculated the time difference and woke Bonnie up in Seattle. We had some Christmas giggles. We have always laughed and it felt good to do it on this day. Caught Jackie, yesterday and did the same. I think I like this better than greeting cards because you can ask the questions, and give and take, and laugh. Kids in all cases are progressing with their lives and surprising us with their adventurousness and directions.

Talked to brother Rich. He popped the question to Valerie last night in the presence of her parents and her daughters. All were pleased for them. Rubyalice, Val's mom said "What took you so long?" So they were on a high. Told them G'ma's popcorn balls were delicious and the molasses still seemed to "work." if you catch my drift- and if you were here you would catch my drift. Brother Bob also loved this "blast from the past." And if you were with him it would be a blast from the passed.

Called Matt and they were just starting Christmas there so I said I would call back. Audrey got a big girl's bed and likes it. She got a new dress, told me about it and twirled so I could see it in all its glory. (?) Kids! Grampie's special gift can only be found in one place in the whole world and it won't be shipped until January 24, though it was ordered November 12. Bad Grampie. Cool present though.

Called Sue, Rasty is in hospital being evaluated and I guess he was a wild man yesterday. Mad Dog and the Pilgrim (Polly and Lynda) came from Sweetwater to help her move him. He is sedated today. She was still at the hospital and her friends were chipping in to feed her stock. That is what Wyoming friends do. (Except for one fair-weather friend who is in Florida enjoying the fair weather.) She called later on her way home for some rest.

Talked to Delores and Don. They were having the most traditional day of all- Greg and his daughter and Kim, mother of the daughter were coming for dinner. They need to come to Florida.

I still have my pork chops- by the time I got to Deerfield to go play with Juneau, I was hungry so went to the Super Buffet-Chinese and very fine food it was. Juneau and Buster got smuggled treats unless Juneau has the trots, in which case he didn't have one. We had a good play session. Buster is not sure what to make of all these strange dogs. I am loving him often to reassure him he is still number one with me.

Emailed a lot.

It was a different kind of Christmas Day but a very nice one. Oh, the present? It is a digital picture frame that plays your pictures about 5X7 size. It came preloaded with many pictures of our shared experiences-some I had not seen. It is a wonderful gift. It does much more- will even play music but I am enjoying just seeing the many memories scroll by.
Makes me smile.