Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Crock-Pot Friends

JJ gives Greg a kiss. Three years ago when they camped a few spaces away from me these rescued dogs, JJ and Pepper, were nearly wild. They are mellow love hounds today thanks to Greg and Lew.

The day took me to unanticipated places. I knew I was going to lunch after 2:00 p.m. I knew I was going to the Boynton house to wash clothes and myself. I knew I was going to look for new collapsible chairs because one of my old collapsible chairs collapsed... with me in it. Heat and age rendered the plastic in the old ones brittle-to say nothing of my personal characteristics. I was let gently to the earth last night. What I did not know was that I was going to Deerfield for 8:00 p.m. dinner and instructions for babysitting the grandpup, nor how completely original Greg and Lew are- marching to the beat of different drummers.

Over Heineken's we visited while the original crock-pot recipe for sloppy joes simmered in their new pot. Lew is more science and Greg is more poetry-both kind, dog loving, country living in New York state, gardening, social, photographers, good humored, do it our own way men. Greg shared pictures on his computer. They have ten acres of rural land they have transformed. Rock walls, herb gardens, flower gardens, and an 8000 square foot vegetable garden that feeds family and friends. They dug a 24 foot deep lake on the property, stocked it with a variety of fish, and raise pheasants for release. They are footing the bill for a 21 year old neighbor woman with three kids and no present father to come to Disney World and South Florida for a vacation. Greg pays tuition for the kids-preschool and provides transportation insisting that mom holds down a job. Interesting people. The sloppy joes and cole slaw, and my cut fruit (from Publix) made a delicious lunch. A great time.

My kids are off to one of the Carolinas for a wedding tomorrow and I will de-camp to the Deerfield house to ride herd on Juneau for a few days. Like any bonded parent Lori wants the best for her pup so I got the instructions, the vet number, etc. Mariella, the neighbor whose companion animal is Tahoe ( Juneau's playmate) will provide backup. Lori made a very nice dinner-meatloaf, mashed potatoes, asparagus, salad and crescent rolls, and we had a laid back time. Very pleasant. I am excited for them-since driving into the state nine years ago, they have never driven out of it. Flown, often. The wedded-to-be are our Saturday hosts David and Jacqui's son and his betrothed, Brigitte. All guest women are required to wear long black dresses, and it promises to be a production. I am sure I will enjoy the pictures and a review.
Posted by Picasa