Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Everybody is at their Assigned Posts

Before I left the Deerfield House I made the kids a pot of pea soup and left it on the warming burner. To some people that might seem more like a dirty trick than a favor but Lori had mentioned in passing a few times that she was partial to it. They had called from Jacksonville, FL with an ETA of between 6 and 7 p. I was back here at John Prince Park with enough daylight to re-tighten the awning tiedowns and fix a couple of anti-flap devices and park the van strategically. We had an early squall in Deerfield that made me worry. Most of the big rigs have put their awnings up and if my screen room didn't have so much in it, I would consider doing the same. My side curtains make a huge difference in how much wind can get under the awning so I think I can weather this cold front.

The kids called: they had a wonderful time at the wedding in South Carolina-it sounds very unusual-the bride was aiming for "classy but not stuffy" and it sounds like she achieved her goal. Individual cabins with attentive room service on a restored Plantation, an eight person African-American Chorale, fireworks, to name a few things, AND they were scarfing up the pea soup in Deerfield. Just the right thing after days of eating decadently, apparently.

Brother Rich called: he had talked Valerie into trying to duplicate Grandma Mason's recipe for Popcorn Balls- an annual Christmas treat we really enjoyed. He had some process recollections he wanted to confirm. Grandma always had next door neighbor Casey Herschler help her. Casey had MS and the heat of the corn and caramel didn't bother her hands. Grandma was the only person who knew besides Ed and Casey and if someone told that Maine born, Boston bred, lady to keep a secret it was kept. That was years before Casey and Ed moved into the Wyoming Governor's Mansion. Poor Casey felt the stigma of the disease was worse than the rumors of drinking that accompanied her poor balance. What a trouper! These days she would have a Telethon. Gosh she had a wonderful laugh-infectious.