Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Such a fine Day

Greg came over this morning on his JJ walk. Ah, (relative ) Youth: after two days of dissipation he looked fresh as a damn daisy and my face looked like I slept in it! No Justice. He was reveling in the calm beautiful day. Lew was filing quarterly tax reports so Greg said he was going to go get tickets on a fishing boat for the afternoon and surprise him. Would I like some fillets? "Sure," sez I, and I bought some Heineken's Beer. I had another morning visitor- the retired New York policeman who had an emergency prostatectomy here last year stopped by on his bike-looked me up. I rendered them some assistance last year and accompanied him on his early slow walks-he was in danger of passing out then. Gave him some Mona Vie juice, too. His color was good today, he had lost some weight and he looked pretty good-vigorous. They are out of here in the next couple of days for the Keys. Another geezer survivor with a brightened attitude. Good to see him.

Meanwhile, others also thought this was a good water day so our lake got some use. A big old party barge was under way(above) when I got back from the liquor store. I saw this sleek boat show up and got out to observe. Was met in a somewhat surly manner but the owner got the boat in the water and proceeded to show off for the camera.



I caught the campground manager , John, in the office and ran my "Internet Cafe"idea past him- no money can exchange hands but permission was granted so I spent some time getting my old Toshiba set up to do this and loading the appropriate software on it. I think I will be ready to launch tomorrow or the next day. Went to Wal-Mart and found a sturdy camp table that will do and to Radio Shack for a laptop tether that will lock the laptop to something immoveable. Field tested the computer and the Internet connection. It worked. I am contemplating ground rules so I don't get stuck minding the store more than I want to.

Greg told me the story of JJ the police dog. She sleeps in the driver's seat when he is out of the car and of course he leaves the windows down some for ventilation. They were at the Legion Club in Boynton Friday night for dinner and some kid popped 11 tires on vehicles and then stuck his arm in Greg and Lew's car. JJ clamped her jaws around his forearm and would not let go. Before long the kid was hollering and crying for help. Greg and a policeman arrived and the kid left the scene in a cop car. As her papers and vaccicnations are in order- she was just making a citizen's arrest. She is an amazing dog-very smart. She and Greg are really "connected."

I waited until 7:30 but no fish arrived so other dining arrangements were made. Still have those pork chops.

Visited with the poodles' parents tonight. Nice people. We tried to spot a screech owl in the tree in front of my site. They base in Tampa but have a son in Palm Beach. Buster was unleashed and much more confident and a perfect gentleman. He is so good. Nice manners.
He wanted to go on a long leash walk tonight. He likes to poop where we camped last year. (still unoccupied! so why not?)

I am not the only nutso dog owner around here. I am going to start collecting pictures. Saw one in a child's shoulder pack today, and saw two Lhasa Apsos riding in a back seat bicycle basket.
Posted by Picasa