Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Internet Cafe is a reality-no takers yet

Greg was over this a.m. The lad (45 yrs) has ants in his pants. This girl in NY has him dancing on a string. She says she got her court date deferred so she can come to Florida. I smell being taken for a ride and since I like Greg, I am feeling parent-like: warning bells going off. He seems to have his eyes open but can't help himself. Been there, done that, myself, so I am going to TRY to keep my mouth shut. Will try to steer the conversation elsewhere so I don't blow my top. His business.

I got the Internet terminal set up: went in search of a big cardboard box this morning which was no small chore. The sunlight washes the screen and of course the elements are not good for electronics so darkness and shelter were needed. Covered the box with a plastic tablebloth and it was field tested immediately with a good rain. Seems to work. Mr. Haley was walking his dogs and asked what I was up to. We talked: He is a dog (3) and horse lover as is his new wife (number 3- the charm one). They will be setting up in Tennesee after their stint in Livingston, Texas (via Ohio). He is a man of many mechanical talents and I learned from him but computers are not one of his talents. I transformed their gift laptop (1.5 years ago) from expensive doorstop to working Internet tool in just a short while. He was very grateful. Nice man. Had a good visit.

My old friend, the prostateless cop, stopped by to say goodbye-they were off to the Keys today. His doctor was not going to release him until he had put 50 miles on his bike and he was on mile 57 when we spoke.

Got my signs approved by John and they will be posted. Have my own signs out here too, but no takers yet.

Greg came by for a cold Heineken's this afternoon and let JJ off her leash. She rushed a big old lab whose owners Loraine and Bob couldn't have been nicer. Visited with them. If I get kicked out of here for an unleashed dog, that dog's name better be Buster.

The pork chops are gone. Buster was over the moon with his meaty bone.

I wanted to practice taking night shots of Christmas lights and was going around the circle. Had to tinkle so headed for the restroom. Ran into Bill and Sarah from New Jersey who had been showering. (they gave me a hard time about carrying my camera and tripod into the restroom) They went home for Christmas, had a fine time and brought 72 cases of juice back from their church in NJ to their church here which helps feed the hungry and homeless. Took a bad picture of them and their lights. They are ever so nice-good people.