Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Putt-Putting Along

My 1976 VW SuperBeetle is up and running again. It was bought in a time of rising gas and as a tow car for the first motorhome I bought. It has languished for a couple of years with a bad battery and a tire that was flat on one side. I priced batteries all the way down Federal Avenue and ended up at Wal-Mart. The Beetle started with a short period of cranking, the tire was inflated, psssst is the sound of a slow leak, it got at bath and a Zip wax. After I tested it, I decided to take Buster for a spin. He needed some encouragement to enter such close quarters but he finally did and he seemed to enjoy himself. He WANTS his ride every day and his favorite is the Dodge van. With gas prices being what they are, if he wants a daily ride it will be in the Vee-Dub. The cost of a trip to town will drop almost 50% to $3.00 per round trip. It feels more like apparel than a vehicle to me but it moves right along. It is fun to drive. The air conditioning is missed.

It will stay home tomorrow while I take a flying trip to nephew Justin's graduation in Casper. A party at his mom's house, then home again for me. Rich will play in the band, as he did for Alicia's graduation. Rich has jazz band practice later tomorrow night so the visit with him will be brief. Justin has covered himself in glory in different ways from his sister Alicia. KW's soccer team took state, and he has earned a scholarship to Casper College. His lawn service is already booked for the summer. Eighteen, graduated, money in his pocket, pretty girlfriend, own car, living at home... I am going to give him a camera to record his own adventures now. I won't tell him that this may well be the peak. Lots of joys to come but the free-est ride is over.