Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is today, Monday, and so far it has been contemplative-our family has given to the Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII and Korean Wars but has managed to avoid the dubious Wars. I, like the Native Americans, expand the day to include my fond memories of all my significant others, who have lost their spark. The Native American cemeteries are spruced up and colorful after this weekend.

I may go on a photo safari this afternoon. The weekend has been full. Yesterday Thomas came down as scheduled and we made good progress with his full-size, long-bed pickup and the two of us, hauling fallen branches, and other detritus, 3 loads, to the dump. Long way to go but the stoppers are cleared away. Late afternoon, Janet was tired of her labors and called to see if I would enjoy a glass of wine. I would, sliced some cheese, grabbed my Fritos, and headed to their new and unique log home. Then their relatives showed up-I know them and had not seen them for awhile but my meager snacks were a joke with the eventual 6 other guests. The wine was plentiful-we are talking large tumblers here. I grew quite chatty before I excused myself and found my way home. Always better to leave at the "in vino eloqui" stage than the "in vino veritas," stage, which has resulted in my having to walk into a pub backwards so I could pretend I was just leaving in decades past. I go months without alcohol and then there is Memorial Day weekend.

Later realized I was getting critical on the nicotine supply so found myself in town and buying India Chicken at ten to nine. Not routine, and an enjoyable weekend.