Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Wyoming Spring

At about 10:30 this morning the power went out. As the wet snow was collecting in the leafing trees and dropping on the roof in clumps like mortar shells, it seemed a good idea to go to town for a few supplies and a leisurely lunch. Buster did not need a second invitation. Town was busy everywhere. I decided to take snow pictures at St. Stephen's Mission and on the way home.

St. Francis was looking pretty chilly:
Got home and still no power at 2:00 in the afternoon. So I began to assemble the elements of survival, which I still may need. Had the generator I carry in the van all fired up and came in the house to find the electricity on. Some bumps in the current from time to time. A woodpecker is trying to make a house in my house, snow clumps still falling. If the lights go out I am now prepared for heat and lights at the drop of a hat. Battery powered/crank radio is plying me with Joni Mitchell tunes. Boxed up the rest of my lunch so cooking is not necessary. Life is good.

Today is my dear departed mother's birthday. She has been popping into my thoughts a lot lately. Fond memories but with a frequency that makes me wonder if she is trying to tell me something. Happy Birthday mom.

I will head to Oregon, weather and all other factors permitting on the 10th. All this wetness will relieve the watering worry for awhile.
Posted by Picasa