Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tuesday already?

Sunday I enjoyed meeting and being treated to lunch at the Imperial Palace by Rasty and Sue. It was a "We are going to...you want to meet in 45 minutes?" deal. Sometimes the best kind.

The snow has all but disappeared except on the mountains and the days are sunny and the nights freezing. I have been fiddling with the well. It decided to go septic over the winter, pouring out black stuff. Clorox shock seems to have cleared that up but I am still a little leery of it. Buster and I drink bottled water. He has grown into the alpha dog role-he crabs at me and whines until he gets his ride, or out, or drink, or scratch, or whatever. He still wants to cross the road so I am like an eagle when he goes out. I don't trust him not to go visiting other dogs. I looked at the Casper pound website, where I got Goody and there were some strikingly similar dogs. Set me to mulling. Still would prefer his companion to be subordinate size but...

The Florida kids have decided on a new house and it easy to catch their enthusiasm. In pictures it looks to be quite nice and a sixty foot dock has Jason thinking B-O-A-T. Kind of mind-bending for an old guy who is perfectly content in a log cabin on the rez. My kids have both surpassed the old man in the splendor of their digs. (That is what you want. isn't it?) Shaped by our times and experiences I suppose but I remember feeling like my expensive mortgage owned me instead of vice versa. Went happily downscale, post-divorce, and have never regretted it. True freedom, for me, is not keeping up with the Joneses, it is ignoring their opinions entirely. ("I Did It My Way," plays softly in the background.) Which soliloquy sounds like implied criticism but is not. I celebrate their choices. Everybody gets to choose for themselves and the O.F. gets to visit and enjoy. What could be better than that? Basking in the glory of your children is nicer than the reverse, I think. It is their time, now.