Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Cabin Fever and a Dog named Patches

I have not seen or spoken to a human (2 phone calls excepted) since the blizzard hit. Nonetheless, I am happy and entertained. 70 inches of snow fell in the Wind Rivers, about 10-12 inches here. It is soaking slowly into the ground-the happiest of circumstances. Roads are pretty clear to judge from the traffic and I will go to town tomorrow though I can make it another day comfortably.

About 10:00 p.m. last night I decided to see if the USB modem would work on a Toshiba laptop I have had for several years that would deliver a blue screen error anytime I tried to connect to the Internet, thus rendering it an expensive doorstop. It was a sweet and compact little machine, but useless. It blew a blue screen about three times and I decided to do some deep cleaning in "safe mode" in a do or die effort. I got it to work! It had not been updated in several years. At 4 in the morning I was up to Microsoft patch number 61 and Service Pack 2 was a way down the road. I would never have thought what a cobbled together patchwork Windows XP is without this experience. I let it run while I dozed and finally got to Service Pack 2 around noon. There was only 482 MB of space left on the hard drive at this point so I unpacked the portable hard drive and took all my pictures off the Toshiba giving me about 3 gigabytes of unused space. The Toshiba is a far more convenient size to travel with so I am glad to have it back in order. I just hope Verizon doesn't cut me off for too much use of the aircard at one time. I am going to explore Linux as an alternative to Microsoft.

I have enjoyed the Final Four-my money is on Florida, but I like Ohio too.