Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Saying Farewell to an old Friend

Buster and I blew down to Casper (and swam back) Monday for Ken's funeral. A friend from high school and college days, his funeral was well attended by family, friends, and other people who were very supportive during his long bout with throat cancer. At our 30th class reunion, I, as a fan of the film "The Big Chill," suggested that we ought to be having some "pre-Big Chill" get-togethers and so a group of us did just that, gathering at Carl and Vickie's sumptuous B&B in Estes Park as well as at other gatherings like Bonnie's visits over the last 15 years. Some great laughs and memories and caring and sharing. Better than eulogies, though Ken got some fine ones. No pictures of Ken-he made a complete ash of himself.
I always miss the turn-off to the Petroleum Club where a reception was held. Needing to turn around, I discovered the new BLM "Old West Trails Center." A great sculpture and a great view of Casper from the hill. ( I know I should have shot from the edge but I was loathe to tread on newly seeded grass.) Had brief but pleasant visits with brother Rich, his former wife Peggy, and Jackie. Had a little nosh.
We drove home in life-giving rain most of the way. Much more to the east of here but the home place got some, too. Perfect weather for contemplating the larger questions of life dredged up by a death during the drive time. Buster, who is so painfully good when we travel that it is easy to forget he is along, got a double hamburger from Burger King as his just reward.
Posted by Picasa