Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Weather Channel

Sixty mile an hour gusts and an otherwise grey day kept us in until dusk when we made a break for town to stock up on vitals, victuals, and sundry in case the 40% chance of rain/snow bears out. When it is nice, progress is made. I have been giving the septic tank drain an enema. The pipe at the end froze, collapsed and plugged up, backed up. It has been possible to get a flush or two each day but there is an end to that eventually unless things are flowing. I have run a hose with a special nozzle up there and I got to a point of no resistance. Next step will be to insert a liner of pvc pipe. Cabin oiling is progressing but needs windless days to continue. Country Living.

The television has been riveting with all the spin on the tragedy at Virginia Tech. Everybody has their take and wants to blame some policy or person. We delude ourselves to think that we can control things. We can limit risks but along comes a wacko, or a tornado, or a bus. I can't help but reflect how we become hysterical over these events (which ARE horrible) on our turf but 33 dead in Iraq is a calm day. No big whoop. I don't get it.

Allergies have been plagueing me since Florida. I dug out an old Sears electronic air filter and am amazed how much it helps me and Buster. Sleeping better, feeling better. Ordered some Triphala from Swanson vitamins. I read in the Independent that conventional trials found it inhibited cancer. It is supposed to be THE mainstay of medicine in India, balancing, reducing blood pressure, helping maintain blood sugar, cleansing blood and bowel. I will let you know- it is cheap enough.

Found a keen little clock radio/iPod dock on clearance at Ace hardware. Keeps the iPod charged and has good sound and a remote control. Enjoying my tunes.

Labels: , , , ,