Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Party time

Andre helped give Juneau his workout Tuesday. The day was a little cooler than forecasted but still pretty nice and way better than cloudy/rainy yesterday. The temperature at home-60 degrees was the same as here. Jeanne says folks had a ball. That is a credible assessment because the laughter is frequent among this bunch. They enjoyed the resort atmosphere. They brought finger-food for the afternoon and I cooked dinner for 7 at 7:oo.
Someone- probably Jeanne, brought silk leis and drink umbrellas. We were moderate but steady in our beverage consumption and I count the meal a success because there were few leftovers.
I didn't realize until just now that Honey was taking a leak in the background of this fine piece of photography. The friends wanted to stay and help me clean up but it was nigh on to 10:00 when we broke up the party. I had plenty of time to clean things up yesterday and read a book. The pool cleaner and the cleaning lady both come on Thursday. I sat by the pool and tended dogs-just like in my job description. I also started Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. I learned of the title in his recent obituary. It is eye-opening, well sourced, if clearly an intended antidote to the account found in"The Promise of America" textbook we all had lo those many years ago. It is also eminently readable. The Kindle pages keep flipping even though I know how the story turns out.

I haven't posted because the cable to my Sony camera was 20 miles away. I ran down Hillsborough to CompUSA and bought a cheap 72 in 1 card reader so I am back in business.

I am coasting on leftover finger food. I am not dirtying the kitchen after Mita put everything in order. I want a cleaning lady-in fact I want Mita. She is a beautiful Hispanic lady with a smile that knocks you out. She and her assistant pulled up in a pretty darn nice black sedan, got their equipment out of the trunk and two hours later I handed her the envelope with the check.

I fell down this evening. I am not sure what happened other than I lost my balance. Juneau was the first one there. Buster wisely ran from the disaster and Honey thought I wanted to play. A couple of skinned places but no other discernible boo-boos. At least when I get up from falling down I am no more dishevelled looking then when I fell down. Not everybody can say that.
Posted by Picasa