Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Butterfly World

The kids got back from their cruise Saturday about 11:00 a.m. which was just perfect for my meeting friends at Butterfly World in Coconut Creek. Rene and Terese had never been and their friends, Pierre and Marthe joined us. Marc and Jeanne were their tour guides. It was a great day with enthusiastic people and cameras that produced the good, the bad and the unrecognizable. The bugs and birds are busy pursuing their own agenda with no consideration for having their pictures taken.
It is always interesting to go with "newbies" because they don't really expect the great experience that it is. It is highly interactive. The music is wonderful, the tropical setting enjoyable, and the critters are exotic and up close. The people watching is pretty good too. The place attracts a wide cross section of society who are really into what they are seeing.
Rene feeds some Lorikeets. Below, Terese is being mugged by a Lorikeet that must have smelled the almonds she had in her purse. These birds are quite chummy with humans and one lady exited with one on her back-much to her surprise. My season pass expires the 28th and there are singers there next weekend so I may go one last time. I have gotten my money's worth out of the season pass.
I went back to Deerfield to visit with the kids and Chad and Joyce, gather my laundry and stuff, pick up my doggies and head for the park. When I arrived our same group was putting together an impromptu dinner: Costco Chicken, a green salad, chips, good Chilean Wine, and a couple of the little rum cakes the kids brought me from their trip. We do laugh. Pierre and Marthe are fun too.

Today, Sunday, I set about putting my campsite to right, paying for my last month, cleaning the icemaker. Tony came. Blah, blah, blah. Then Bob came and rescued me. He is funny, animated, and has some good tales. He left, and Tony came back for two hours. He tends to go bigoted and I nailed him on it. But he still stayed. Tired me out. Got nothing else done. Some folks bring you up, some folks bring you down.

We are having a pretty impressive thunderstorm tonight. Supposed to be better tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa