Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Memories...of the way they were

Lapses: Greg forgot his camera and some complimentary dog-poo bags I gave as party favors. So he and Lew were back this morning. Had a couple of beers and another rehearsal of "How the cow is going to eat the cabbage" when his daughter gets here. Lew's fallback position is moving in with HIS folks if it gets bad. Hey, a little drama makes life interesting...as long as it isn't happening to me.

Their memory lapse was perhaps understandable because we were a little wrecked. Mine happened after I got THROUGH the check-out line at Publix today. Not one red cent on me and my wallet was home. Fortunately, the checker knew me and held my groceries while I went home and returned. BUT, I was behind a family with an autistic teen (laying on the floor, playing with the toys, wandering off, dancing, being bizarre), and a harried middle-aged woman and her mother in an electric cart. BIG shopping. Had time to visit. The old lady's mother was from Oak Hill, West Virginia. I happen to know the area. Behind her were three generations of Guatemalens with two birthday cakes and a ten year birthday boy who was hoping to get through the checkout before he turned eleven. We all got pretty chummy before it was over.

Speaking of chummy, I pulled past Latours and Jeanne came over to the van. She raised her arms and it struck me who she reminds me of. Do you remember Molly Shannon on SNL-the Catholic schoolgirl skits? Mary Margaret. Mary Margaret turned out pretty well.

Honey got two runs today-it started to cool off so she could have an afternoon run. We had a pretty good rain last night. I bought stuff to cook Sunday dinner and lost interest. But it was a nice day and I am glad to be alive and in it-even with the marbles spilling out of my head.