Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, August 01, 2008

"Saints Prasarve Us'

The child is going to be the death of me or her. Honey can be so angelic and such a care. She is collecting. There is a dried cow patty and a cluster of horse turds on the back porch, pine cones (?) huge bones. A package of DVD's went out the door, She hauled a big log from the woodpile. But most concerning she ate the extension cord that went to my outside beverage refrigerator. I am sure she must have gotten a jolt. My cord to download my pictures from the camera came up in two pieces. Another 12 volt adapter had the cord gnawed off to the nubbins. She is smart and with that comes boredom. I am making her toys that I think will challenge her-dog biscuits in plastic containers- good for about two minutes.

I have decided on a plan for the Medigap Insurance. All of my calculating says the high deductible is the best plan for me but you can move to the high deductible from the low deductible (expensive) but if you try to go the other way they may assess your risk etc., and I am kind of risky. So I am going to go with the more expensive plan for a year and try to use the hell out of it and see if it is worth the expense.

It probably sounds like I am one foot from the poorhouse. I am just fine but I didn't get to be just fine by frittering it away and I want to stay that way. Wish I could find my expiration date- I got a mirror and looked once-nada. I didn't ever use my health insurance when it was a job benefit. In retrospect, I would have just as soon have the cash from all those years of paying the insurance premiums. But the insurance companies capitalize on fear. I hate being fear driven. I am glad to have the dithering and fretting behind me and a concrete plan. Bet you are too-just wait... ( I can hear my mother-"Just wait"...until you have kids...get old...) And of course she was right. I keep having these little epiphanies: "Oh, that is what mom and dad were going through. I understand now." Their wisdom grows.

I got my annual Christmas call from David Studer-an old high school chum. How great it was to laugh with him. Very different lives but one of those friends that still fits like a well worn glove.