Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Here Comes the Judge

Janet is active in the Cattlewomen's Association and in desperation asked me to judge their Photography Competition for the County Fair. There were some gems among the prosaic-had to struggle a little bit and in the end, ceteris parabus, it comes down to taste. An interesting experience.

The gig came with a nice gift certificate for beef which I will use later and Guy, Janet and I went to Perrett's Italian Restaurant for dinner. I saw some faces I hadn't seen in quite awhile and also seized the opportunity to do a little payback by grabbing the check. They feed me a lot. While I try to hold up my end of things in other ways, I don't get many opportunities to return the favor. So I counted the evening as a fun time and enjoyed their company. I have been in the valley a mere 32 years. Guy grew up here and his reminscences about who lived where and going to school were interesting to me. The tales were rich. It seems a certain other neighbor (not a fave) was always kind of mean and got slapped silly by another neighbor (a girl) for his efforts. She cleaned his clock in such style it is still being talked about. Still no love lost there either.