Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Road Running

Like thousands of others on the rez, we have been up and down the road a few times in the last couple of days. The traffic-almost freeway level on our two lane has been from The Northern Arapaho Tribe Sundance. It involves physical and spiritual purification so there is a huge encampment overseen pretty strictly. Every car truck, and minivan going east today had one, two, or three mattresses strapped on it. They were crammed with people and camping paraphernalia. It has been 90 degree weather until today which started cool and got warm then cool again. So I don't envy their campout.

Our trips have been more mundane-provender yesterday: dog food, real food, fast food. After debating overnight I scooted for a Wal-Mart bargain today and they actually had one left. A Toshiba laptop ($398.00) has power and storage well beyond the old Sony desktop so I am making a switch to all laptop, all twelve volt equipment. The satellite modem is a goner in a few days- I am figuring out web page hosting for the site I have on that service.

The growing seaon has been dynamite. The farmers and ranchers have been busting their butts to get the first cutting of hay done. I can tell from the sounds that their equipment is laboring harder than usual. Guy's father-in-law was impressed with Guy's already baled main meadow and he doesn't impress easily. Their bean crop is also ahead of the game. Good for them. The ag people need to catch a break from the weather once in awhile: make hay while the sun shines and the rain waters.

I have been kind of spacey, dizzy and quasi-queasy today. Meds and bed soon.