Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Burning through the Cash

Feglers were shipping cattle somewhere so my fleet was bunched up. By plan I took the misbehaving Dodge Van to get some service. I had pretty much decided that Bob was right- the battery was weak and I had noticed it was running a little warm and the air conditioning was weak. I think they saw me coming. Plains Tire put an 86 month battery in a 16 year old car- that is optimistic. They had to put the new freon in the air conditioner-change the fittings. When the mechanic brought it out I noticed water dripping off the front. I asked him about it. He said the cooling fins on the radiator and the air were filled with bugs so he washed them out. Probably my whole problem right there- $336.00 later! {expletive deleted} The Ford Van is going to Riverton Tire and Oil next Wednesday.

We are enjoying a cold front- sweater weather this evening. A low of 44 predicted. OK by me.

I have felt like I could use a mechanic-so I tweaked some meds to good effect. Depleted, I guess. Should have somebody take a hose and squirt the bugs out maybe. Cuz Donna who had to abort attending the wedding because of a wasp sting that turned septic, has support around her but is still not 100%. My little Lori had a cataract operation yesterday, a diabetic complication, and is doing fine. Matt started physical therapy Tuesday after his surgeon's good report. His knee is now capable of bearing a load.

Fortune magazine had an article on Ken Heebner-the only mutual fund investor who has made 40% per annum over these past 6 years and kept it. He did it by selling short and successfully predicting the trends. He says we are looking at a world-wide recession and double digit inflation over the next couple of years. Plan accordingly. Read the whole article below. The predictions are toward the end.