Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, July 07, 2008

At the End of My Tether!

The Wedding was great, the parties were great but I had a heck of a time. Walked in the door here at home and started snarling at the dogs-Buster who did not deserve it and Honey who did deserve it. This post is all about me and it is one long whine. I'll deal with the nice wedding later.
We rolled into Casper about 3:00 p.m. Friday the 4th of July. Decent room at the Parkway Plaza for $85 per. All was fine for the wedding Rehearsal and the picnic at the ballpark. Reminisced with Heather's husband,Tom, and nephew Justin. We all three have mortifying memories of "last choose," left field, and hoping no ball ever came near us. I drifted away after Alicia sang the Star Spangled Banner- great powernotes, and went home. The Parkway was a great place to watch the fireworks.

Saturday dawned and I needed to set up the music. MyVan was deader than a mackerel. Brother Bob came and though my van would crank, he thought a jump would help. It didn't. Transferred all the music equipment to his van, and got the music set up before the 2:00 p.m. wedding, catching a ride with cuz Jim and Susie. My new shoes were in Bob's car though but I got that taken care of -only sluffing on part of my usher duties. The Sand Ceremony I was asked to do was a hit. But I was without my car- and the dogs were locked in the Reception Hall/garage. That part turned out all right. I borrowed nephew Justin's lawn business van to load up the dogs and go home. Of course no mechanics were operating on the 4th of July or the 5th, so Monday morning I called Good Sam Emergency Service. Their regular Casper tow truck was 4 hours away from seeing the likes of me so I asked for an alternative and they obliged. Then my cell phone rang. It was the new tow guy, and Good Sam hadn't given a credit card number-. Did I want him at my own expense.? I did. Rich had tried to get me into Kelly's but they were jammed so he called Leo's for me. (cell phone was now dying due to no vehicle to charge it). Watched the Van leave for Leo's on a flatbed truck. Got in Justin's van- dead as a doornail. Called Good Sam and waited and waited, finally called Rich, Called Justin- no answers. Called my cousin Jim who told his wife he didn't answer the call because they didn't know anybody from Riverton. She hit the ceiling and I got an apologetic call and a jumpstart. Good Sam called to see if I still wanted a jump at $45.00 cash. I was able to say "no."

Leo called- he said the Van must have been vapor-locked due to alcohol in the gas. He had a couple of start and die episodes then it straightened itself out. He charged me NOTHING!

Had lunch at Frosty's with Jim, Sue, and Charles, cost me $60.00 but was a nice refreshing treat and I really, really needed that gin and tonic. Much rather spend $$ that way. Loaded up my stuff from the motel, Justin's van, Jim's garage and headed for home about Four p.m.

Honey started to kick up a fuss near Shoshoni so I stopped at the park. She played "Catch me if you can" for an hour. Fat man chasing small white dog in 90 degree heat. She came within a whisker of finding a new home in Shoshone but I found a flat cat that intrigued her with its pungent odor when I picked it up. She made a beeline for it and I snagged her. Home by 7:00 p.m. hot and ticked off. Day late, and many dollars short.

Now entering a no whining zone:->>>