Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

As Others See Us

O would some Power, the gift to give us,
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us,
And, foolish notion:
What airs of dress and bearing would leave us,
And even pridefullness!
--Robert Burns

At the wedding, I took my plate to sit on the lawn with Buster and eat together as we have done nearly daily for the last four years. Natural for us. Some kind soul came to say there was space at their table. I said I was fine. And I was! Perhaps a lonely picture to others but I am quite content with my own company and the dogs.

One of the younger cousins had heard me described as the "kind of free spirit, uncle." I am tempted to say "If they only knew!" But I see myself as pretty conventional with a willingness to experience life and return- go off on brief tangents might be a better way to say it. I always come back better informed. I don't like "boxes" I guess. I find what my aunt Esther called the grinding "dailiness of life" to be something better endured with vacations.

Perhaps the strain of so-called "polite society" is why I have been so tired since the festivities. When we had guests at the Double 4 Ranch back in the late 50's early 60's Hank True and I would sing Lonnie Donegan's "Puttin' on the Agony, Puttin' on the Style." as we dressed for dinner.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsd/donegan.html

Anyway it was great fun, glad to be back at the Hermitage.

I am getting the fleet serviced. The Verizon Broadband Rev. A is doing very well for Internet Service so I ordered a special EVDO router and wifi adapter for the desktop. If all goes well, this capital outlay will be recouped by saying goodbye to the Satellite modem and $70.00 per month. I will use the router in Florida to make a wifi hotspot.

Since Medicare is imminent I have tapped my heart attack fund to pay off some credit card debt. They ticked me off. The banks are all desperate. I got two notices that my interest rates were going up- one from 9% to 16%. I mentioned this to my brothers-same thing happened to them in spite of our timely payments- Rich had one jump to 39%. Check your statements carefully. One customer service lady in Omaha admitted they were doing this to me then became uncomfortable. Unfortunately with the web, you have to have plastic. I have concocted plans to cost them the max to service my miniscule balances.