Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Don't Try This at Home

My keyboard was so grubby and had keys sticking from hair, dog and person, coffee, crumbs, etc. that I felt I had nothing to lose by trying to clean it. I went online to eHow where it told me to carefully use a flathead screwdriver and pry some of the small keys off and use a Q-tip and mild detergent to carefully clean around each key. So I took it out to the driveway banged it with my hand, used my shop-vac to get the easy stuff, sprayed it down good with water and Dawn dishwashing soap, turning it upside down so wet wouldn't get into the electronics, shop-vacked again, squirted WD-40 under the keys and called it good. Looks spiffy and works much better.

Lovely Lori returned my call. She would probably call more often if we didn't talk so long-still didn't get the waterfront covered in an hour and 10 minutes. They are doing just fine. And they are willing to board me at either Deerfield or Boynton depending on what turns out with the John Prince Park reservations. Her nephew Blake had quietly and consistently turned Juneau into a more obedient, slimmer dog during the thirty days he was house and dog-sitter.

The Ford van was fiddled with. I am trying to get it organized in a semi-permanent fashion. I always start out organized but it looks like gypsies have been living in it after 100 miles. I have three power systems in it: 12 volt, 110 inverter, and a 1000 watt generator so the electric alone is a challenge. Gotta have those gadgets! I also need to have a way to get horizontal in there and Honey is going to need a place (probably the same place). The trade-off (in my head anyway-I am pretty good at tricking myself) is high gas price, fewer motels.

I spent a lot of time researching my Medicare options. I am happy (for now) with my prescription drug plan. I keep scratching my head about how this wonderful benefit is somehow going to reduce my income by $250 a month. I was researching the average number of hospitalizations a person has between 65 and 75- no info out there, and spreadsheeted the Medigap coverage plans. I called the Senior Center which is supposed to advise and learned all about that lady's coverage and how she was going to stiff her kids on any inheritance-not terribly useful information. Somehow I ended up on a fascinating webstring about how to go to Mexico and get veterinary Nembutal and painlessly "off yourself." That may be the cheapest alternative and the trip might be a blast. Lace a Margarita and drop dead in the middle of a "donkey show." Wouldn't that make the family proud?