Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Where There's Smoke...

Although we do sometimes get California smoke, yesterday's was from -just over the Wind River Range near Pinedale. I knew it wasn't local because the fire stations weren't activated. A good wind on this side left us with clear air this morning.

Honey was all wound up last night. I let her out about 3:00 a.m. and thought I heard someone whistling outside- eerie. So I went for a listen and my brave little girl was giving a band of coyotes "what-for." They were crossing the pasture. The Pyr across the river was also in full bay protecting his band of sheep. Every place has its dogs and there was a chorus establishing territory. Honey has a big bark for such a young dog. She seems fearless and that worries me-she may pick a bigger fight than she is ready for.

The books Sue gave me for "Christmas" were by Margaret Coel who writes mysteries set right here on the reservation. She has grown as a writer and these were good books. It is strange when the locales are very familiar to you and characters race up and down in front of your house. Names are changed for some things but facilities are recognizable. I think her hero is based somewhat on Father Tony Short who I never met but must have looked a lot like me because I would get mistaken for him in Safeway from time to time. He was a contemporary of Fr. Joe Damhorst, S.J. who was a friend of mine. Joe was very smart and fun and after our meetings on the advisory board for the Pine Ridge Mental Health Hospital we would often meet at the Union Bar in Hudson, WY for a libation or three and have the greatest discussions. Last I heard he was in Colorado. Fr. Tony had a stroke or a seizure and was retired early to St. Louis, I believe. But I digress: Coel is great on the local color but kind of one-sided on the good guys versus the bad guys. The exploitation of the Native American by whites is a given but there are some rotten apples in the red-man's barrel, too. But Coel's issues are real and her plots are gripping. Great fun to read.