Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Beating the Heat

We are still alive and kicking. No posts since Thursday is a big hint to get off the dead ass and do something worth mentioning. Not that we have been bored: books have been consumed, gift taffy finished off, trip to town, web surfed, web posters have been straightened out, dogs have been played with, food has been eaten, the swamp cooler has been turned to high on a couple of days.

The neighbors took their cows to the high country leaving five or six dry cows, whose days are numbered and Honey has been bored. She likes her critters in a bunch and these tend to stay that way. I am pretty sure they put all the critters in the corral one day- I went down and chased them out before we got caught. She and Buster get me up at 4:00 a.m. and they do their disappearing run. Almost no traffic at that hour and since I am not sure where all they go that is less of a worry. They often come back in high spirits, soaked and muddy in time for an 8:00 a.m. breakfast. It takes the edge off Honey's energy- a blessing. She gets bored then acts out- pushing my buttons and I oblige. CD's have headed out the door, the vacuum cleaner nozzle, diskettes, etc. She is quite the little girl: she moved her bed to the porch, she stole and dropped the dog brush in the irrigation ditch but eventually brought it back-she is acquisitive. Her toys always come back. If something is closed she will open it, under the furniture, she will fish it out. Things turn up that I haven't seen in awhile and things turn up that I have never seen. She is quite smart and minds most of the time. Quite affectionate. They both can't stand to see the other one getting petted without joining in. They are great buddies too and that is wonderful. I truly wish she liked to go in the car-that is limiting my life and I feel badly about leaving Buster to babysit because he loves to go.

I am within days of having to make my reservations in Florida. You have to call early in the day and on the day if you expect to have a spot.