Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Lord of The Flies

ROCKIN' CHAIR: "Old rockin' chair's got me, my cane by my side
Fetch me that gin, son, 'fore I tan your hide
Can't get from this cabin, goin' nowhere
Just set me here grabbin' at the flies round this rockin' chair

My dear old aunt Harriet, in Heaven she be
Send me sweet chariot, for the end of the trouble I see
Old rockin' chair gets it, Judgement Day is here
Chained to my rockin' chair

Old rockin' chair's got me, son, (Rocking chair got you, father)
My cane by my side, (Yes, your cane by your side)
Now fetch me a little gin, son (Ain't got no gin, father)
What? 'fore I tan your hide, now, (You're gonna tan my hide)

You know, I can't get from this old cabin (What cabin? joking)
I ain't goin' nowhere (Why ain't you goin' nowhere?)
Just sittin' me here grabbin' (Grabbin')
At the flies round this old rockin' chair (Rockin' chair)

Now you remember dear old aunt Harriet, (Aunt Harriet)
How long in Heaven she be? (She's up in Heaven)
Send me down, send me down sweet (Sweet chariot) chariot
End of this trouble I see (I see, Daddy)

Old rockin' chair gets it, son (Rocking chair get it, father)
Judgement Day is here, too (Your Judgement Day is here)
Chained to my rockin', old rockin' chair"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been humming this old Louis Armstrong/Hoagy Carmichael duet for a few days. The 98 degree weather has the flies out in force. I gave electronic bug zappers to our partygoers and have two myself. They are like small tennis rackets. Push the button and swat and the flies disappear with a loud "crack." More fun than popcorn.

Got the pups gussied up. Buster has a new electric blue harness to go with his red hair. The old harness failed to come back from one of the early morning runs they take. Honey has a red collar with genuine fake diamonds in it. Her old one was getting too tight.

Otherwise I watered the lawn and trees and tried to stay cool. Should have gone to the grocery store but I didn't. Doggies got omelets for dinner.