Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Working and Playing in Paradise

The fair Elante' is nearing readiness for storage. The final section of polish was put on today and she does look pretty good for an old girl-all tarted up. Defrosted and washed the beverage refrigerator, put Old English Lemon oil on all the oak wood and veneer- of which there is plenty, washed all dishes and utensils preparatory to storage, washed and dried all the outdoor rugs and mats, dried out the BIG patio rug and shook the 8x20 foot thing the best I could. I let the sun disinfect it on both sides. Folded it in a pretty good wind. Cleaned and lubed my leveling jacks, splitting my pants in the process. There is a fair pile of stuff outside that needs to come in but it must wait until the end so I can still use the bed and get down the aisle. So there is a little touch of the rez going on outside right now. I have decided to depart the park Friday- still a day early for the park but the last day before the dog-sitting begins. I am old(er) -things take a little longer.

Lori returned my call this morning. She had heard about Matt and Jason had talked to him. She flew her nephew Blake in to scope out the task of babysitting Juneau in July when weddings and things are happening. We laughed ourselves silly. Eve had lost sleep when she stayed in the guest wing because she heard things in the ceiling. Lori called an exterminator (He just has a gift and likes to help people!). A 15 pound possum mama with four babies in her pouch was the first capture. Some big old rats were the next victims (Lori says-I don't want to see them, just get them out of here!) Not included in the realtor's spiel was the bit about- "You live on the water, you will have rats-guaranteed." The exterminator is her new best friend. I had things I needed to offload (including the found girl's bike I had oiled up) from the van before I could on-load some going home things. Lori and Blake wanted to try the Tri Rail to the airport but she suggested we meet for a late lunch after they returned.


She tooks us to JB's on the Beach which was a wonderful selection. Blake is a delight- animated and an original mind, filled with Texas goodness. We had a great lunch. We watched the boats and the people. Since I remembered my camera, I took some pictures for Blake: below.


Productive day that was fun too. Very nice to spend time with Lori. She IS an instigator-Blake resists mostly. But we do laugh. As Blake is her sister's son it is really interesting to see shared family traits and the warm and easy relationship. Blake lost his dear mama but SuperAuntie, is on the job.
Posted by Picasa