Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Last Saturday in the Park (probably)

Nami is home in Oregon and delighted to be reunited with her granddaughter. Audrey is a stitch: here she is with helmet, kneepads, rubber boots, sun dress, and long underwear. We are all perplexed where such strong character and originality stems from.
This handsome bird caused a traffic jam when I backed up a city block to snap his picture.
I went to my last "Fresh Market" of the season where a wise person is soon parted from his money. In about ten minutes I was parted from $125.00. I was digging for my last quarter for a beautiful burrito (the hispanic lady offered to let me have it for $5.00, but I knew there was some change down there someplace). Got Lori an annual supply of her favored soap. Bought a loaf of cranberry, raisin, currant, walnut bread, and a table runner for Lori's dining table as woven by the lady above. Only $35.00 and it supplies an average monthly income to the lady who wove it. I can feel good about buying fair trade items like this. It is a beautiful piece of work, too.
Got stopped by the Amtrak train on the way home. This was a windy hot day. Packed up some stuff. Re-upped my rent for the last week. A free day comes at the end of a week's rent so I am actually good until the 12th but hopefully will be gone before then. My space at the storage yard awaits. I thought there was to be a cookout tonight and bought some stuff for it but it did not appear to be coming off. These things happen. The weather was not particularly conducive, anyway.

It has been too hot for Buster to start out the night on the bed but occasional thunderclaps send him running for reassurance. He gets a few half asleep ear scratches and pets and a cuddle. Awoke Saturday morning to find myself nuzzling the wrong end of a dog. Luckily he is fastidious.

Joyce called three times in semi-panic. Gary is very confident but driving a 10,000 plus pound coach, with a Gold Wing motorcycle in a trailer, in overdrive, up the mountains in West Virginia, is going to cause problems. I discussed this with him before he left but Joyce thought he needed a refresher. The coaches that buzz right up the mountains are diesels, not gas. Want to save gas? Drive 55- overdrive only helps on the level with no headwind and it doesn't help all that much.
Posted by Picasa