Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Orthopedically Challenged

I am blogging at 5:30 a.m. because I needed to take another Aleve. Struggled like a beached walrus to get off the bed. I took a fall yesterday and my right shoulder is very tender (and the left is twingey) when certain movements are attempted. I am adjusting expectations of myself in getting off the pad here.

My issues are nothing compared to son Matt's who will travel to Eugene, Oregon for surgery to get hardware installed which will help him get some knee action back today. Nor that of Bonnie, previously featured with Lexi, the dachshund, in this very blog. She took a fall after a collision with a road barrier and very likely broke her leg yesterday. They had kindly offered to shuttle me from storage yard to JPP and I went over to confirm a time just as Dave was getting the call. We started out not knowing exactly where to go but saw the fire truck on its way. An ambulance transported her to JFK hospital which is practically just across the street. She definitely blew her knee. How badly I don't know. Lexi was at home, thank goodness. A non-English speaking man responded to Bonnie's call for help and hot-footed it to the office to get help started.

Thursday was pretty productive for me. The Boynton house got a last visit for laundry and for collecting the few items I kept there. The coach started right up and is ready to roll. Most everything is stashed except for a few heavy/bulky items that may prove challenging now. They will hamper movement in the coach so I am just making certain that everything that needs to go home gets into the van. Being assured of a spot next year is allowing me to be a little more relaxed about having some things live in Florida. (hurricanes at the back of the mind). The hurricane season starts on April 30.

Lori was pointing out that I have had nearly 5 months in Florida this season (Why are you counting my dear? Oh, it just seemed like it would never end...). Yet I saw a snow picture from Casper this week. As is my habit I am easing "goodbyes" with anticipations: I am pretty certain I will follow the Natchez Trace, mostly, or in its entirety on the way home. It is sort of a north-south Oregon Trail. I may well have ancestors who used it in its hey-day. I am watching the weather though.