Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, February 01, 2008

Being in the Moment

Tomorrow I will go to: the Fresh Market, PetSmart, and Deerfield to babysit Juneau and do my laundry and garden a bit. Jason and Lori are taking a mini-vacation to celebrate her birthday and will return Sunday when I will come north to attend the Superbowl Party in the park. End of list making.

Today I opened the Internet Terminal and was just tidying the screen room up a bit when Greg and Lew and the pups showed up. Reality is intruding: Tracy left as Greg's girlfriend but he "Dear Janed" her yesterday-pledging to help her out and look after Mackayla but thinking better of the "girlfriend-boyfriend" deal. He shaved his moustache off. Very interesting.

We visited for awhile and then they invited me for lunch. They left and I made a quick run to the store, bringing back some Miller Chill's which are lime flavored beers. A fine warm day for a barbecue. In one of Greg's incarnations he was head chef in an old folk's home-a Nunnery. The boy knows how to cook. He infused the burger with red bell pepper, egg, and crumbled Ritz crackers. Sharp cheddar on top. We guzzled a few beers and fed the Grackles Mackayla's leftover Fruit Loops. They are avid for them. We retired to the coach to dine in air conditioned comfort- fresh cut fruit, red potato salad, burgers and beer. These guys have interesting conversation. They have done a lot, seen a lot and are current. Greg cooked a nice fat burger for the dogs too, which I really like about him.

We smoked and joked, sipped, and looked at 1470 digital pictures of Tracy and Mackayla's three week all expense paid vacation in south Florida, and many more of their estate, handiwork, gardens and friends who gather at their place for celebrations. Greg seems to be a gifted horticulturist. The rock, flower, and vegetable gardens are very nice. Very good photographs. He has quintupled his lily bulbs through careful division-many pounds of them. About 4:30 Greg decided we needed some air so we went outside to visit for a little while longer. I was a little wobbly. With a gift Beggin' Strip for Buster I went home to face the music.

After a great lunch, you would think I could coast but Buster needed fed so I cooked us some Cheddarwursts, sauerkraut, and baked potato. Tasted very good. Buster has his sausages with kibbles- he does not eat vegetables. I even got into my dumpster-found Christmas Candy. Found some M&M's in that collection. We tried for a walk three times before we had a nice one. The first time a lady came by being towed by two St. Bernards and an Irish Wolfhound. Buster was alarmed. We went home. The second time a plain old black Lab set him off. The third time was the charm. We had a good long walk around the park taking in all the sights, sounds and smells on a warm winter night. Good to be alive.