Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Buster Revolts

The day started early with me and two neighbors vacating our sites for the tree crew. Buster assumed his cross country seat in the RV but we only drove about 30 yards. He got a tinkle break but was unsettled by the break in routine.

The county tree removal crew was well equipped and staffed. The tree cutter was like a surgeon, selecting saws of a special size for function. They ALL started on the first pull. I was agog. The rubberneckers gathered and one spectator noted it didn't take much to entertain us.

As some of the top branches hit the ground, it was apparent that they had made a good judgement call on the health of the tree. The big winds could have dropped a branch on any of us easily. (Pick me!)

From start to stump removal it took about two hours to eradicate the tree leaving only a piney smell from the stumpers chipping.

Buster's benign neglect continued as I labored to re-construct the internet terminal, and my screen room. Harold helped me move the refrigerator and Patsy came over after her bike ride to the library to help with the smaller stuff.

It was about 4:00 p.m. and I realized I hadn't eaten all day and was fading. I grabbed my car keys and Buster was right out the door with me. I chose McDonalds. A quarter pounder was in my head. McNuggets for the hound. I was finishing a Raymond Carver short story in the van after the burger disappeared. The pitter patter of raindrops became a torrent in a few minutes. We scooted for home-I thought everything was safe from rain but I wasn't sure. Thunder in the distance.

Buster wasn't about to let a rain drop touch him so he stayed in the van. Suited me but the thunder got closer and louder so I unfurled the umbrella and tried to coax him out. Tried to order him out. No luck.
I went inside and cooked some calves liver that had thawed in the refrigerator. His favorite home-cooked dish awaited. We were in hour four of heavy rain at this point. I made a raid on the van and carried him in -he whimpered all the way. The liver bought me quick forgiveness but it took him an hour to calm down from the storms.

Got three dog portraits today from looky-lous. Vivienne came by with her hair done and a DRESS! She wanted a gussied up portrait with her little Bella. She looked nice and I was glad to oblige. Good for her.

I am pooped tonight and will take an aspirin to ameliorate the stiffness that is already making itself evident.

Memory Hook: Actor Heath Ledger was found dead today at the tender age of 28. How sad. Whether accident or on purpose, unobserved demons overcame him.
Posted by Picasa