Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Breaking Camp

I opened the Internet Terminal this morning and informed most of my users that I had to move out for awhile and would be closed tomorrow while they took the pine tree out. It was pretty blustery and I started worrying about how the awning would handle the wind without the side curtains. The cavalry arrived. Two ladies from New Brunswick just showed up and pitched right in. We were moving and grooving. Most of the contents of the screen room are under plastic tablecloths under the banyan tree. The electronics are in the coach. I pitched the old box that housed the computer terminal because it was soggy.

I probably will get to move back in tomorrow so I went in search of a new box for the terminal. Marilu Walker called-they were on their way from Weeki Wachee to Sarasota. She asked what I was doing and I told her I was dumpster diving. Since she is the queen of secondhand shopping, she was excited for me. I found a box that will do- a little too large and filled with discarded Christmas Candy! It previously held big plastic bins. Seemed to me that one of those might work better for my purposes so I bought one after measuring. I will be "new and improved." I have a lot of peppermint candy in the bargain.

Marilu has a line on a park on the west coast of Florida- Holiday Springs RV Resort, that sounds nice and is reasonable. She foresees a colony of friends. Of course my kids are the anchor for me to be on this coast but a possibility for extending my stay south is always intriguing. I guess it is bitter at home. Minus 4 tonight with windchill to 29 below. I don't care if I never experience that again.

I'm sampling a new wine: Obsession by Ironstone Vineyards. It was in a specials bin at Publix. Price tag said $2.99 so I thought why not get a couple of bottles? When I checked out it was two bottles for $2.99- or a buck and a half per each. And it is pretty tasty. The aftertaste is very pleasant. I may go get more tomorrow.

Bought a $2.00 Lotto ticket and within five minutes a huge bird (must have been) whitewashed the van windshield. I take it as an omen. Time will tell what kind of omen.