Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Seaquarium at last

My Monday began with a bittersweet surprise. Jean -Yves and Pauline came to the end of their two-week waterfront stay at John Prince Park. They were the most regular Internet users, nice people, and they were not quite ready to go but they brought me nice thank-you gifts: a 12 pack of Corona beer and home canned mussels from New Brunswick. Completely unexpected and the sweeter for that.
After checking the health of everyone via cell phone ( Jason was NOT well), I motored to Deerfield where we changed to the Lexus and Matt, Audrey and I finally made it to Seaquarium in good time to catch all of the shows.


A fanny patting sea lion. Matt was glad to see sea lions in this context. The Oregon sea lions are gargantuan, and aggressive. They will climb into boats and sink them and gather at dams and eat the lion's share of the running salmon.
A sweet kiss
The Killer whale is a crowd pleaser. Pleases me too.

Audrey. Grampie was having a sit-down. He ran out of magnesium and his engine was missing on one cylinder. Very disconcerting to him. A coffee helped some but he didn't get to his pills until much later.

Jason was on a conference call when I called him to see if Starbuck's was wanted. They had been to a doctor and the doctor said no fruit, he had a highly contagious virus and 24-48 hours of bed-rest was necessary. He felt lousy on what should have been his most triumphant day. The company sold. The boy is wealthy and he has "golden handcuffs-" more money in reserve for him to remain with the company. He was offered the presidency but he knows his present position is key and taking on two jobs would not do for him. He worked hard to negotiate favorable buyout terms for most of the staff. He wasn't able to be at the office to enjoy the moment. That is sad.

He wasn't even able to enjoy the Outback Steakhouse dinners Lori brought home for Matt and Audrey's farewell dinner. Audrey was being her bossy best and I gave her back a little bit of her own medicine and got "the tongue." Her dad had a little chat with her. I wish I could let it go but I feel like I saw her reality. "Give Grampie a hug," seems like performance art now. But I am told she ran to window when my headlights came on and said "I love you Grampie." She also told Lori not to cry when she left Florida.

I am intending to do: not much.

Posted by Picasa