Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Al and Snickers

Al used to live in a regular house here in Florida- he was a fireman. Now they are fulltimers after having sold the house to one of his kids. Both his and his wife's mothers are in their nineties so they go back north in the summer to look in on them. They own a lot on a large lake up there. About 10 years ago, while here, they took their Golden Retriever to the same hospital Goodie went to, for a cancer operation and the disease was too far advanced. Al was devastated and he said "No more dogs." He became acquainted with this little dog when it was a newborn but held fast to his pledge. His wife was rolling her eyes and snickering behind his back-she knew he was hooked. Hence the dog's name is "Snickers." They are inseparable. At eight years old Snickers is still puppylike. Al loved his portraits. Nice man- I am to go for a beverage one of these first days.

But first I have some playing to do with my kids. I am taking Matt and Audrey to Seaquarium tomorrow while Lori and Jason take care of their obligations. The rest of the time seems to be unstructured. Took them to the Super Buffet for Chinese Food tonight. Not a good choice for Lori because she has developed an aversion to chicken and to shellfish. But she was a good sport and the choices are very wide at this place so all got something to put in their pouch. Audrey developed an aversion to everything but vanilla pudding and cake with pink icing. So I guess a buffet was about as good a choice as any. From observation, the men of the family have no aversions.

I had 10 Internet users today. Harold helped a 4th person buy a GPS. He is hooked. It does make navigating South Florida manageable.
Posted by Picasa