Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Different Day

This is a photograph of the windshield of the fair Elante' about 3:00 p.m. this afternoon. So far the weather service is batting zero and the comments in the Sun-Sentinel are scathing. I kept checking the weather forecast during the big storm yesterday and saw "60 percent chance of rain" and "light rain." "Light Rain" turned out to be 10 inches in 5 hours in Boynton Beach, washing out the Interstate ramp and stranding motorists, flooding stores, etc. We had a least least 5 inches according to a piece of tupperware I left outside. It was what we used to call a "double c'er" at the Double Four, and I won't tell what that meant even if you ask.

But the day broke fair and warm. The keyboard for the Internet Terminal got soggy so adjustments had to be made and I decided my awning needed to be waterproofed. Called the RV store-yes, there is a good product and it really works and it is in stock. Ended up there about noon. The clerk said the best way to apply the waterproofer was to use a sponge mop. So I wheeled into Winn-Dixie to get one. Noonish-Peckish, Leoric's Sports Bar and Cafe beckoned. It turned out to be Jamaican and feeling adventurous, I ordered the Curried Goat and a Corona. The already cold Corona was served with a mug of ice which I found very nice. The Curried goat was served with white rice and cut lettuce both of which served to balance the spicy goat stew. It was very enjoyable sitting on the patio eating and reading my New Yorker. Old goat enjoys young goat, I kid you not. (nyuk, nyuk)

It was still sunshiny when I disassembled the screen room and set the awning down for step one which was a good wash with Dawn dish soap. It was drying when Harold came by. They were going to take another run at a Bean Bag Toss tournament. I should have given up then. Came the rain- in the quantity illustrated above. The Canadians gathered under Harold's awning and visited. I entertained them by donning my (carefully preserved disposable) yellow plastic rain cape and hood and proceeding to take advantage of the copious water to wash my RV. (Picture a giant plump lemon with a long-handled scrub brush) I moved right along with their encouragement. My awning is still at half mast- I had to raise it some to get into the coach. I am hoping for good sun tomorrow.

We have had a quiet evening. Buster is out of sorts- very quiet in spite of a couple of lovies. Mozart on WXEL, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. It must be dismal in Wyoming- my fair weather blogger-friends are blogging! They all have interesting things to say.
Posted by Picasa