Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Such a "classy guy"

We had a little rain today and the places where the waterproofing took and didn't take became clear. That is the bad news. The good news is that where the application was good, the awning was watertight. A bit more work to do. Rained long enough I had to send one Internet client home with my umbrella. It came back.

The Florida kids called- they entertained the new CEO and his wife and 3 month old baby last night- 14 persons in all, in a catered event at their home. They had leftovers for me and wanted to meet for lunch at an old favorite: Macaroni Grille, for Italian food. It has been some time since illness and press of business intervened- I hadn't seen them for awhile. We had a nice lunch and visit. They were unaware that Boynton flooded so we went by the Boynton house. Things were fine there. We loaded a chest of drawers for the TV that will go into their bedroom.

Sarah and Bill had told me of a "park " with boardwalks and alligators and birds in that general area. So I said let's go try to find it. We did and soon realized it was a sewage plant outlet-settling pond, percolating, purifying arrangement. So they took me to lunch and I took them to the sewage plant. I am a classy guy.
Long-necked turtles. There was some good wildlife viewing on this cool day. The place was packed: mostly New Yorkers of a semitic bent. They ought to charge admission. Some good optics were in evidence.
I have seldom seen an alligator do anything. Conserving energy seems to be their main activity.
Much earlier, I took some yesterday pictures to Joe and Patsy-he is leaving for home and medical attention. I waited until about 9:00 a.m., not knowing their habits. Nobody answered the door so I kind of sneaked away thinking they were slugabeds. A little later I saw Patsy arrive on her bike. They had biked ( they have no tow car) to church and stopped at Walgreen's where buying three 12 packs of Pepsi for $10.00 got you a free case of 24 bottled waters. They packed these home on their bikes. The closest Walgreen's I know of is down on Hypoluxo and Congress- a good four miles away! Not exactly slugabeds.

Buster made me laugh tonight. He wanted his walk. So we went. He seemed on a mission. He went to the residence of Choupette, found a tiny rawhide bone and led me at a gallop back to his couch to enjoy his stolen treat. He has always been a little thief- a street kid. When I gathered eggs from my chickens I would sometimes think I was losing my mind because they seemed to disappear from the bucket. Then I caught him. He would take them one-by-one and stash them, unbroken, for later. He still gets a raw egg for part of his breakfast two or three times a week. Makes his coat shiny. I will replace the rawhide bone.

Duplicated a homemade CD for Harold. He wanted three copies. Made one for me- vintage music from our generation.

Now I had better take Buster for his constitutional.
Posted by Picasa