Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Solstice: 98 Degrees Fahrenheit

The Eastern Shoshone Indian Days are coexisting with the Northern Arapaho Sundance. Respecting the local customs, there are no Arapaho pictures in my camera but I can tell you that a huge encampment of teepees have sprung up near Wyoming Indian High School on sacred grounds. Campfires and lanterns- no electricity, made an impressive sight. The Shoshone celebration is not quite so formal so I snapped some pictures near Fort Washakie. I arrived for an honor dance that was for a well-connected elder who passed away. The emcee at these things is supposed to keep talking-no "dead air." He did what he could-read the obituary twice while people greeted the widow, then a friend started and went on and I left when he was recounting how the deceased and he used to castrate horses for free when others charged $60.00. They were grasping for fillers. The next dance was to be a giveaway and they take a long time too. I will try to get back for the horse regalia in the morning. The light was fading, the traffic was heavy and night driving is not my favorite thing to do.

I worked on the motorhome today- moved it about five feet back to better catch the shade. It has been hot! I re-jiggered the electric cord, cleaned contacts and checked things out. I need to replace a few things on it. Took a hot shower out there last night. I watered the lawn. We need rain. For some reason the irrigation water has not made it here. I suspect I know the reason. Buster let himself out today, somebody honked and I found him in the road. He got a scolding and turned his back on me for the rest of the day. He also found the screen door locked. He is trustworthy outdoors 97% of the time but all it takes is once and the traffic has been brutal.
Posted by Picasa