Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Beating the Heat

The need for cooling always comes suddenly in Wyoming. Two days in the low 90's outside, mid-70's inside, made the installation of my venerable swamp cooler imperative. It was a smooth installation-almost too easy, which should have been a warning. Thirty minutes into the first cool breezes the lights dimmed and hot wiring smells wafted through the house. I checked it out and it may have been only a switch but I was on the third water pump, sixth set of pads, and the blower was vibrating and complaining last season. It lasted many years-at least 14, amortizing out to about $25 per year. I may have found the last 2007 model in Riverton at Ace Hardware. I thought it a little undersized according to rating. At home, out of the box, plenty big. Thomas came down to help me pack it to the back of the house. It is keeping us nipple-firm cool at half speed. Buster came out from under the Van. Blessed relief. Life is good.

This is my 350th Blog Entry. I know my readership is not wide but I find it satisfying and instructive (history and patterns) and it also makes me justify my existence to a certain extent. Nothing to write=not much happening. So I will mark this event on Father's Day 2007 in the blog and find some way to celebrate. Treats from the Florida kids and a good conversation with Cheryl and Audrey commemorate the day so far. Matt has gone fishing. Good for him.

Labels: , , ,